Here’s How to Get a Skilled Visa for Australia

skilled visas in australia

Are you good at your job and want to move to Australia? Maybe you don’t like the cold weather where you live or want a different view. Australia is a nice place to live and work. The good news is that the Australian government gives visas to skilled people who want to move there.

This blog post will explain the different types of visas for skilled workers in Australia and how to become eligible for them. We will explain skilled visas and answer some common questions, so keep reading to learn more!

Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)

The Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) lets skilled workers stay and work in Australia forever. To get this visa, you need to meet some rules.

  • Having an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list
  • Being under the age of 45
  • Having competent English language skills
  • Having a positive skills assessment in your nominated occupation
  • Scoring at least 65 points on the points test

If you have what is needed, you can fill out a form to show that you’re interested in a job or opportunity. This form is called an Expression of Interest and you can do it through the SkillSelect system. If you get asked to apply for a visa, you’ll have two months to fill out the application.

Australian Tax Slab: What You Need to Know

Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190)

The Skilled Nominated visa is like the Skilled Independent visa, but a state or government agency needs to choose you first. This visa helps skilled workers move to rural areas in Australia. The rules for getting the visa might be different depending on where you want to go.

To get the Skilled Nominated visa, you need to meet the same requirements as for the Skilled Independent visa and also have a government agency nominate you.

Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491)

The Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491) is for skilled workers who want to live and work in non-city areas of Australia. To get this visa, you have to pass the test and have a sponsor from the government or someone you know who lives in a special area.

This permit lets you stay for five years. If you qualify, you can seek permission to stay permanently after three years.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: How do I know if my occupation is on the skilled occupation list?

A: You can check the skilled occupation list on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Q: How many points do I need to score on the points test?

A: You will need to score at least 65 points to be eligible for skilled migration. Points are awarded based on factors such as age, English language ability, and work experience.

Q: Can I apply for multiple skilled visas at the same time?

A: Yes, you can submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) for multiple skilled visas through the SkillSelect system.

If you have a special talent and want to move to Australia, there are special visas that can help you. If you want to live in a big city or a smaller place, there are choices that can fit what you want.

Make sure your job is on the list of jobs that qualify for skilled migration. Also, check that you meet the basic requirements for visas. If you have questions, look on the Department of Home Affairs website.

We hope this blog post helped you understand the different visas for skilled workers in Australia. Applying for a skilled visa can be complicated. It’s important to do research and ask for help if you’re confused about anything.

Australia is a great place to live and work with lots of good opportunities and a nice lifestyle. Don’t worry about the paperwork, it’s worth it. If you want to move somewhere, start looking at the different types of visas you can get now.

For you


  • Department of Home Affairs – Skilled migration visas
  • Migration Institute of Australia – Skilled visas
  • Australian Government – Points test for skilled migration

Subscribe for exclusive tips on Screenplay

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top